Self assessment of my progress and inquiry plan
My progress so far:
So far I have done quite a bit of research into inclusive education, UDL, and circle pedagogy. I have developed a few inquiry questions related to inclusive education, including:
- How can I build a community where diverse learners feel safe, included and welcome?
- I believe students need to feel safe and included to be engaged, effective learners
- What classroom management strategies help students with exceptionalities?
- I believe all students want and deserve the positive regard of their teacher and peers
- I believe that classroom management begins with my own attitude.
- How do I engage and include all learners in my lessons?
- I believe students are more engaged when work is meaningful and draws on interests and funds of knowledge
- I believe UDL is an effective tool to include all learners in the classroom
Narrowing it down
After reviewing all of this, including the feedback I received from Dave Dunnigan during my pedagogical stance presentation AND the feedback I received from Bel on this Inquiry Plan, I want to narrow my inquiry to something more specific and related to my personal experience.
My new inquiry question (so far):
What tools and strategies can I use to ensure that students feel safe and included in their collaborative learning?
How do we agree to be together?
Bel suggested I frame it differently: we’re not doing groupwork. We’re collaborating.
Where I might encounter obstacles:
- Covid19 could impact my ability to form groups
- My SA doesn’t tend to do much group work and the students are not accustomed
- In previous group work, there has been ample evidence of students not participating
- There is no classroom charter, and while most students are warm and there is no explicit evidence of bullying or exclusion, the classroom lacks a cohesive community vibe.
Potential strategies for moving forward
- Develop a classroom or groupwork charter – have a discussion about groupwork
- Talk to my SA about my inquiry project and that I want to explore groupwork
- Research groupwork strategies and tools
Next steps – timeline, processes and plan
- This week: Talk with Belanina, my FA, Dave, and my SA, Pat, about my inquiry.
- From now until long practicum:
- Research groupwork strategies
- Create a class groupwork charter
- Do circle pedagogy at least once
- practice groupwork in class – use various methods
- During Long Practicum
- Continue implementing groupwork and reworking my strategies